I am currently conducting research in the following two areas:
Academic dishonesty: I'm conducting research on factors that influence students' reactions to others' cheating, the relationship of cheating to other forms of minor deviance, and students' affective reactions to having cheated or having resisted the temptation to cheat.
Attitudes toward homosexuality: I'm currently at various stages of looking at three aspects of heterosexuals' attitudes toward homosexuality: (1) the roles of authoritarianism and social dominance orientation, (2) the extent to which acceptance of homosexuality in others is related to comfort with homosexual feelings in oneself, and (3) the extent to which a person's being labeled as homosexual and engaging or not engaging in homosexual behavior influence reactions to that person.
- Causal Attribution
- Ethics and Morality
- Gender Psychology
- Person Perception
- Prejudice and Stereotyping
- Research Methods, Assessment
- Sexuality, Sexual Orientation
- Keith-Speigel, P., Wittig, A. F., Perkins, D. V., Balogh, D. W., & Whitley, B. E., Jr. (1993). The ethics of teaching: A casebook. Muncie, IN: Ball State University Press.
- Whitley, B. E., Jr., & Keith-Spiegel, P. (2002). Academic dishonesty: An educator's guide. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Whitley, B. E., Jr., & Kite, M. E. (2013). Principles of research in behavioral science (3rd ed.). New York: Routledge.
- Whitley, B. E., & Kite, M. E. (2010). The psychology of prejudice and discrimination (2nd ed.). Belmont, CA: Thomson/Wadsworth.
- Wiederman, M. W., & Whitley, B. E., Jr. (Eds.). (2002). Handbook for conducting research on human sexuality. Mahwah, NJ: Erlbaum.
- Blankenship, K. L., & Whitley, B. E., Jr. (2000). The relationship of general deviance to academic dishonesty. Ethics and Behavior, 8, 1-12.
- Keith-Spiegel, P., Tabachnick, B. G., Whitley, B. E., Jr., & Washburn, J. (1998). Why do professors ignore cheating? Opinions of a national sample of psychology instructors. Ethics and Behavior, 8, 215-227.
- Whitley, B. E., Jr. (1999). Right-wing authoritarianism, social dominance orientation, and prejudice. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 77, 126-134.
- Whitley, B. E., Jr. (1998). Factors associated with cheating among college students: A review. Research in Higher Education, 39, 235-274.
- Whitley, B. E., Jr., & Aegisdottir, S. (2000). The gender belief system, authoritarianism, social dominance orientation, and heterosexuals’ attitudes toward lesbians and gay men. Sex Roles, 42, 947-967.
- Whitley, B. E., Jr., & Lee, S. E. (2000). Relationships of authoritarianism and related constructs to attitudes toward homosexuality. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 30, 144-170.
- Whitley, B. E., Jr., Nelson, A. B., & Jones, C. J. (1999). Gender differences in cheating attitudes and classroom cheating behavior: A meta-analysis. Sex Roles, 41, 657-60.
- Graduate Research Methods
- Industrial Psychology
- Organization Development
- Research Methods in Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Systematic Psychology
- Tests and Measurement
Department of Psychological Science
Ball State University
Muncie, Indiana 47306
- Phone: (765) 285-1690
- Fax: (765) 285-1702